Header Ads

Ads

Arsene Wenger reveals which rival club he turned down to remain Arsenal manager

Arsene Wenger’s Arsenal legacy

For a whole generation of Arsenal supporters, Arsene Wenger was synonymous with the club.

The Frenchman arrived in 1996 an unknown, and left 22 years later as a legend. 3 Premier Leagues and 7 FA cups were delivered to North London by Wenger, and while he fell short of Champions League glory in the 2006 final, he remains by far the club’s most successful manager.

His biggest achievement, and one which Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson hails as “standing above everything else”, was of course making it through an entire season undefeated, a feat that is yet to be repeated.

West Ham’s downing of Liverpool on Sunday evening ensured that record remained intact for another season.

Wenger reveals he could have joined Manchester United

Now speaking in his new documentary, titled “Invincible”, Wenger revealed that he made a mistake for staying at Arsenal for as long as he did. The Frenchman’s final years were marred by derision from the fans, with Wenger Out seemingly a weekly protest at the Emirates Stadium,

Clearly, the legendary manager found it hard to let go:

“I identified myself completely with the club – that was the mistake I made”, Arsene Wenger outlined.

“My fatal flaw is I love too much where I am … where I was. I regret it. I should have gone somewhere else.”

He continued to open up about where he could have gone, with the Frenchman understandably in high demand. The most surprising, however, was a long-time Premier League rival, that Wenger says approached him about the job, in the form of Manchester United.

“I could have gone to the French national team. The English national team twice or three times even. I could have gone twice to Real Madrid. I could have gone to Juventus, Paris St Germain, even Man United.”

The offer to manage the Red Devils would surely have come after Sir Alex Ferguson’s retirement, but it is a bizarre thought to picture the Arsenal great in the Old Trafford dugout.

The full documentary is coming to cinemas on November 11th.

Read more:

Video: Arsenal’s Hector Bellerin nets own goal for Real Betis

Sir Alex Ferguson explains why Arsenal supporters ‘should be ashamed’

 

ليست هناك تعليقات

يتم التشغيل بواسطة Blogger.